Saturday, 21 April 2018

St Maria of Paris and the Work of Charity

Mother Maria’s driving concern throughout the expansion of work was that it should never lose either its personal or communal character:
"We should make every effort to ensure that each of our initiatives is the common work of all those who stand in need of it, and not [simply part of] some charitable organization, where some perform charitable actions and are accountable for it to their superiors while others receive the charity, make way for those who are next in line, and disappear from view. We must cultivate a communal organization rather than set up a mechanical organization, Our concept of sobornost [conciliarity] commits us to this. At the same time we are committed to the personal principle in the sense that absolutely no one can become for us a routine cipher, whose role is to swell statistical tables. I would say that we should not give away a single piece of bread unless the recipient means something as a person for us. "
She was certain that there was no other path to heaven than participating in God’s mercy:
"The way to God lies through love of people. At the Last Judgment I shall not be asked whether I was successful in my ascetic exercises, nor how many bows and prostrations I made. Instead I shall be asked, Did I feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the sick and the prisoners. That is all I shall be asked. About every poor, hungry and imprisoned person the Savior says “I” : “I was hungry, and thirsty, I was sick and in prison.” To think that he puts an equal sign between himself and anyone in need- I always knew it, but now it has somehow penetrated to my sinews. It fills me with awe."
From: Jim Forest, Introduction, Mother Maria Skobtsova, page 30.