"I never stopped trying to exercise my missionary efforts while teaching or talking to or counselling my students. I wasn’t bent on having them join my church, but I was trying to be contagious and to instil in them a sense of faith, of trust, of beauty, and finally of joy.
My idea always was, and still is, to try to discover what is missing in a person’s vision of life, what venue to use in order to reach people on their own ground. Whenever I feel a void, I try to fill it with hope and higher expectations from real life; not career, nor knowledge, but the poetic sacred aspect of life, so often missing from people’s lives.
I insist that it is our sacred duty as those blessed with such abundant blessings from our life: our faith, our church and its services, Pascha, the beauty of nature, faithful friends, etc., to share these blessings with any and all who come into our lives, who cross our path and who dwell, if even momentarily, in our line of vision...
...Every one of us, every day has a chance to proclaim one’s faith and love in deeds and works, in compassion and love, in bringing peace and being truly grateful.
This is mission. Give unto others what we have in abundance."
My idea always was, and still is, to try to discover what is missing in a person’s vision of life, what venue to use in order to reach people on their own ground. Whenever I feel a void, I try to fill it with hope and higher expectations from real life; not career, nor knowledge, but the poetic sacred aspect of life, so often missing from people’s lives.
I insist that it is our sacred duty as those blessed with such abundant blessings from our life: our faith, our church and its services, Pascha, the beauty of nature, faithful friends, etc., to share these blessings with any and all who come into our lives, who cross our path and who dwell, if even momentarily, in our line of vision...
...Every one of us, every day has a chance to proclaim one’s faith and love in deeds and works, in compassion and love, in bringing peace and being truly grateful.
This is mission. Give unto others what we have in abundance."
+ Matushka Juliana Schmemann, "The Joy to Serve" (Montreal: Alexander Press, 2009) 78-80.







