Wednesday, 7 October 2015

The Otherness of God

Otherness in common speech, in our habitual perception of life, signifies, points towards, separation, distinction, estrangement and as a consequence the fear of aggression or the fear of rejection and loneliness. This is not what we find in God. The otherness which we perceive between human beings is indeed what I have just described. The other one is perceived by us as 'what I am not'. God is not to be perceived as 'what I am not' because the distinction itself does not make sense.. He is so radically, so ultimately other than me that we cannot draw comparisons; we cannot speak of Him in contradistinction; He is Him and I am I, and it is because He is so perfectly, so gloriously Himself that He need not prey upon me, He does not need to be an aggressor, He does not need to take possession of me, He can leave me free, and yet relate to me in complete and perfect harmony.
+ Metropolitan Anthony Bloom