Wednesday, 12 March 2014

A Prayer for Repentance

A Prayer for Repentance
by The Saint Abba Shenouda the Archimandrite

O God, forgive me, I am a sinner, for I cannot raise my eyes up to You because I am ashamed of my many sins. O God, forgive my sins and have mercy on me in Your kingdom. My Lord, I supplicate Thee and ask Thee for my wretched soul and body. Lord, grant me to do Your will and let Your mercy guide me. My Lord and God, forgive my sins and hide my iniquities, save me from Your wrath and anger. What shall I say when I come between Your hand and what will justify me when You judge me? Lord Christ, direct and shield me from the snares of the devil. Place Your peace and Your Holy Name on me, O Lord Who dwells in Heaven, so Your mercy might come and shield me. Do not deliver me in the hands of the enemy. I have cast all my worries on You, Christ, Son of God, do not leave me. If I lean towards evil, do not forsake me and do not let me walk according to my evil desires. Do not delay rebuking me until the day of judgement. Do not destroy me according to my sins. Cover the shame of my nakedness before Your fearful throne. Purify me, so I will not be defiled when I come before Your hands. O God, Lover of mankind, fortify my soul with Your Honorable Blood. Lord, subdue the desire to sin in me with Your fear. Awaken me from the slumber of negligence that springs out of the evil sin. Keep me from going astray and the slip of my lips. Let Your pure angel expel the blasphemies of sin. Prepare me so Your Holy Spirit might find me a temple for Him. Grant O Lord, my soul and spirit, to praise You all the days of my life. Answer me O Lord according to Your great mercy and accept my prayer and supplication in Your hands. Save me from sinning against You and grant me the way to do Your Will. Do not take away Your blessings from me and do not keep me away from Your help. Keep me a holy temple for You. Purify my heart, tongue and all my senses. Take away from me the stony heart and grant me a contrite one to worship You. Do not refuse me, for You have called me. Have mercy on me, You Who have the authority to grant mercy. Make me worthy to bless You all the time until my last breath. Confirm Your holy words in my heart and soul. Save me from all the snares of the evil one. Direct my life to the way it pleases You. Have mercy on me and listen to my cry. Answer my supplication and accept my prayer. Accept my prayer and do not keep away Your mercy from me. Let my prayer reach Your presence. Listen to my voice and let my cries reach You. Let my prayer be upright before You as the aroma of sweet incense in Your Hands. Do not judge Your servant for no one is faultless before You. For Thine is the kingdom, the power, and the Glory, forever. Amen.

+++
From "Paradise of the Spirit" by Bishop Yoannis of Gharbia